2021 Project 10 Pan - The Makeup I used up in 2021

18:00

eyeshadow palettes that have hit pan

At the start of 2021, as part of my new year reset, I spent some time routing through my makeup drawers in a bid to pick out the items I haven't shown enough love over the past year and to re-start my Project Pan again. I picked a selection of makeup products for Project Pan that I wanted to finish or hit pan on before the end of 2021. For the most part, I have picked out eyeshadows as these seem to be the most dominant in my collection and the item I struggle most to finish up.

If you've seen my past blogposts of the makeup I have used up, then you may have noticed how finishing up foundation, concealer and powder is easy, but it's using up eyeshadows and lip products that I really struggle with.

So for those who may be wondering...

'What is Project Pan?'

It’s a 'challenge' makeup hoarders / lovers / enthusiasts set themselves to finish up their makeup / beauty products, so you hit ‘the pan', or in my case, us up the items completely.

The main goal of setting yourself a project pan project is to shift the focus onto using what you already have, 'shopping your stash' if you will, and trying out a new makeup look with things you already own.

As part of the project pan, you prioritise the items that you've decided you'd like to finish, or 'hit pan' on, whilst committing yourself not to buy anything similar, or at all, while you’re using it up. Project 10 Pan, for example, would come with the goal to use up 10 products before purchasing any more makeup. For me, I will only buy a new bronzer, for example, once I have run out of the bronzers in my collection,

Re-starting my Project Pan

Having managed to use up 21 makeup items worth nearly £300 last year, I have decided to re-embark on my mission to downsize my collection, without being wasteful.

eyeshadow palettes that have hit pan

The products I hope to use more (ideally finish) this year are:

ELF Blusher & Bronzer Duo, Profusion Mixed Metals Eyeshadow Palette (Amber), Dior Mascara, MUA Eyeshadow, Kiko Pressed Pigment, XX Revolution CrystalXX Eyeshadow Palette (Quartz), Fenty Snap Shadows Eye Shadow Palette - 3, Fenty Snap Shadows Eye Shadow Palette - 5

Makeup I've used up in 2021

So what makeup have I actually managed to finish?

Foundations (5) - £75.96 -  3 x Rimmel Lasting Finish Foundation (£9.99 ), Rimmel Lasting Radiance Foundation (£9.99), Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser (2N1 Nude) (£36)

After my old favourite CYO Long Lasting Foundation was discontinued in 2020, I’d been on a mission to find a new favourite drugstore foundation to rely on. Fortunately, I found that with the Rimmel Lasting Finish Foundation, as you’ll notice I managed to finish 3 of these, with the shade 100 being my preference.  

Concealers (2) - £10.99 - XX Revolution Superfix Concealer (£10 ), Olivia Hale (Home Bargains) Concealer (£0.99)

2021 saw the completion of two concealers, both under £10 and from opposite ends of the price scale.  I enjoyed using the Revolution XX Concealer on a daily basis, but haven’t since repurchased and instead currently reach for Maybelliene’s Fit Me Concealer and an old favourite, the Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer.

Powders (0) -

Bronzer (1) - £2.50 - Bronzer' from ELF Blusher & Bronzer Duo (£2.50 eqv)

The packaging of the ELF Blush & Bronzer Duo has had a real battering in my makeup bag this last year. The bronzer itself was pigmented and warm toned, and added a great warmth to your cheeks. I’d certainly consider repurchasing the duo. In 2021, I’d also hit pan on my Charlotte Tilbury bronzer, so keep your eyes peeled for that in my 2022 empties.

Eyeshadow (23) - £27.40 - 1 x MUA Eyeshadow (£1), 1 x Cream Eyeshadow Pan (2.50 eqv), Profusion Eyeshadow Palette (9 Eyeshadows)  (£8.50), 5 x Eyeshadows from the XX Revolution palette (£6.65 eqv), 1 x Eyeshadow from the Stila Eyes Are The Window Palette (middle) (£2.75 eqv), 6 x {unbranded} Eyeshadow Pans (£6 eqv).

I'm so impressed that I managed to use up 23 eyeshadow pans this year. Like 2020, 2021 was a year where I have consciously tried new eyeshadow looks and regularly rotating the shadows in my collection, and 2021 I was on a real mission to hit pan on my shadows and have succeeded. 

I’ve continued to love using the XX Revolution palette, particularly paired with a setting spray and am so pleased that I managed to finish a full palette with the Profusion Palette.

Mascara (4) - £17.98 - ELF 3-in-1 Mascara - Black (£4), Dior Mascara (Sample), Maybelline Lash Sensational (£9.99), Collection Big Drama Volumising Mascara (£3.99)

I’ve been on a mission to try and find a new holy-grail mascara over the last 12 months or so, but unfortunately I’m yet to find mine I want to commit to a repurchase of. Hopefully 2022 will be the year!

Primer & Setting Spray (2) - £40 - Smashbox Photo Finish Setting Spray (£25), XX Revolution Cloud Complexion Primer (£15)

Considering I only tend to reach for primer  for ‘special occasions’ and setting spray with my XX Revolution eyeshadows, I was pleased to use up one of each in 2021. 

Blusher (0)

Lipstick & Gloss (8) - £31.95 - 3 [unbranded] lip balms (£3 eqv), Bath and Body Works Liplicious Sheer Lip Colour (£3.50), Vie Hot Pink Lip Gloss (£9.95), Revlon Colorburst Hot Pink Lipgloss (£3.50), Soap & Glory Sexy Mother Pucker Lip Gloss (£9), MUA Power Pout Lipstick (£3)

I’ve been nearly as successful using lip products, as I have been with eyeshadows. I’ve been 1 lipstick, 4 lipglosses and 3 lip balms., with the MUA Power Pout Lipstick being my favourite of the 8 (sadly now discontinued).


Highlighters (1) - £30 - Iconic Illuminator (£30)

It would be wrong not to finish with my one of my favourite makeup discoveries of 2021. If you are a fan of a GLOW, this is the only illuminator/ highlighter you need. A couple of drops leaves such a glossy sheen on your cheeks that can be sheered out or built up according to your preference. The only bad thing I have to say about this product is that I finished it far too quickly.


Summary - 

So that brings me to my final count - 46 makeup items worth a grand total of £236.78! Compared to the 21 items I used up in 2020, I am very pleased with how much of my collection I've managed to use, especially as for 4 months of the year we were in lockdown!

Want to see how I got on month by month? Read on...

January Project Pan Progress

January Makeup Empties Total: 3
  • 'Celestial' Eyeshadow from Profusion Eyeshadow Palette (£1 eqv)
  • MUA Eyeshadow (£1)
  • Dior Mascara (Sample)

February Project Pan Progress

February Makeup Empties Total: 5
  • 'Bronzer' from ELF Blusher & Bronzer Duo (£2.50 eqv)
  •  Two lip balms (£2 eqv),
  • 'Pixie' Eyeshadow and 'Wannabe' Eyeshadow from the Profusion eyeshadow palette (£2 eqv)

March 2021 Update

empty lipgloss, empty eyeshadow pan

March Makeup Empties Total: 11
  • Smashbox Photo Finish Setting Spray (£25)
  • XX Revolution Cloud Complexion Primer (£15)
  • Bath and Body Works Liplicious Sheer Lip Colour (£3.50)
  • Revlon Colorburst Hot Pink Lipgloss (£3.50)
  • Vie Hot Pink Lip Gloss (£9.95)
  • Polite, Likeable & Burlesque Eyeshadows from Profusion Eyeshadow Palette (£3)
  • 3 x Eyeshadows from the XX Revolution palette (£4 eqv)

April 2021 Update

empty makeup products

Empties from April include...
  • ELF 3-in-1 Mascara - Black (£4)
  • XX Revolution Superfix Concealer (£10 )
  • 'Outgoing' Eyeshadow from Profusion Eyeshadow Palette  (£1 eqv)
  • 1 x Eyeshadow from the XX Revolution palette (top right) (£1.33 eqv)
  • 1 x Eyeshadow from the Stila Eyes Are The Window Palette (middle) (£2.75 eqv)
  • Silver Lip Balm (unbranded) (£1 eqv)
  • Soap & Glory Sexy Mother Pucker Lip Gloss (£9)


April Makeup Empties Total: 7

May 2021 Update

may makeup empties

May Makeup Empties Total: 7
  • 'Fearless' and 'Tricky' Eyeshadows from Profusion Eyeshadow Palette  (£2 eqv) -A major breakthrough for my May empties - I have fully finished an eyeshadow palette! The Profusion Eyeshadow palette has been discontinued now, but I am so impressed that I've got full use out of an eyeshadow palette - it's certainly been a task to experiment with different eyeshadow looks and hit pan on so many shadows!
  • 1 x Eyeshadow from the XX Revolution palette (middle right) (£1.33 eqv)
  • MUA Power Pout Lipstick (£3)
  • 1 x Cream Eyeshadow Pan (2.50 eqv)
  • Rimmel Lasting Finish Foundation (£9.99 )
  • Rimmel Lasting Radiance Foundation (£9.99)
June - October Empties Total: 10
  • Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser (2N1 Nude) (£36)
  • Rimmel Lasting Finish Foundation (£9.99)
  • Oliva Hale (Home Bargains) Concealer (£0.99)
  • Maybelline Lash Sensational (£9.99)
  • 6 x Eyeshadow Pans (£6 eqv)

November - December Empties:3 
  • Rimmel Lasting Finish Foundation (100) (£9.99)
  • Iconic Illuminator (£30)
  • Collection Big Drama Volumising Mascara (£3.99)

Have you ever tried a Project Pan?

Check out my past Project Pan blogposts...

You Might Also Like

0 comments

I will endeavour to reply to all comments by email. Please leave your link with your comment and I will check out your blog. If you want to contact me via twitter you can do so at @CosmticLover

Subscribe