UNIVERSITY: My Second Year Uni Experience

17:00

hand holding a pen
Photo by Green Chameleon on Unsplash

What's second year at University like compared to first year?


Hello everyone! Today I want to continue from where I left off last year, with my second-year university experience. Although we are still a couple of months away from September, I know that as soon my A-Level exams were over, I spent my time reading and watching university-based content, eagerly counting down the days until I would start uni. Fast forward nearly two years and I have just had my results back for my second-year modules, having enjoyed my second-year of university as much as I enjoyed my first (You can read my First Year Uni Experience).

Freshers Week as a second year student

Freshers week of year 2 was less overwhelming, having already purchased a wristband for the week's events ahead of time, and saw myself and three friends from halls move into a shared house in Edgbaston, 3 miles away from Birmingham city centre. Although there were a few initial hiccups, namely the oven not working and us being constrained to the hob for a few days, I already felt at ease straight away and I knew that the house environment would be much more up my street than halls, although it would mean sharing a bathroom with three other girls, instead of having the luxury of an en-suite - its totally bearable!

University 2nd Year Marketing Modules

My second year consisted of 8 hours of contact time, in the first semester studying Digital Communications ( A 2-hour seminar), Managing the Brand ( A 1-hour seminar and a 1-hour lecture), Marketing Communications ( A 2-hour seminar) and Marketing Research ( A 2-hour seminar). 

Is second year of university harder?

The digital communications module consisted of conducting a report to identify current digital trends, constructing a customer journey map of digital communications for a brand from the entertainment industry and creating a blog based on digital communications . This module I really enjoyed as it meant that I had the opportunity to formulate blogposts, as well as exploring new digital trends, such as VR and AR and how they are used in the beauty industry.

The assignment for managing brand followed the focus of a food/drink brand (our group selected Cadbury) and assessing the brand position, in the form of a group presentation in semester one, and creating a Brand Communications plan in semester two. This gave me the chance to choose sponsorship methods, create press advertising, select sales promotion techniques and celebrity endorsement in order to form the plan.

The Marketing Communications module was focused on airport lounges brand 'No1 Lounges', where we were required to construct a contextual analysis in groups and do a 2500 word report for first semester, then in second semester, create an integrated marketing communications campaign. This was probably the most challenging module for me as the brief was very much open to interpretation. On the flipside, this meant that we had free reign of what we included, so long as it worked with Fill's MCPF Model.

The Marketing Research module consisted of us conducting our own primary research and constructing a report and data analysis. Being a bit of a numbers geek, I jumped at the chance to number crunch, create graphs and analyse the data that I had collected - fortunately, this all paid off when my results came through.

Second semester saw the continuation of Marketing Communications and Managing the Brand, but also saw the introduction of Marketing, Advertising and Public Relations Practice Project ( A 1-hour seminar and 1-hour lecture), and Financial Metrics for Marketing (the longest 2-hour seminar of your life).

The MAPR Practice project was based on a live client (our was HS2) and required us to create a number of portfolio items related to the client, as well as write a reflective essay, and to hand this in a physical format (nightmare!).

The Financial Metrics module was the only exam module I studied this year, however, found this, despite being dull, fairly straightforward and no doubt useful later on in my career. Compared to my A Level Maths exams, this was a breeze! 

Joining a University Society

I continued rowing through my second year, only this time I was involved in the committee side of things, which added some extra stress. It also saw me competing twice, both in our varsity races and in BUCS in Nottingham. I also went out less than during my first year - I'd like to say it was because I was working hard, but it was more down to our uni timetables clashing and 9ams getting in the way. As a result, we found ourselves, more often than not, snuggled under our blankets in the living room watching say yes to the dress, snacks in hand.

My 2nd Year Uni House

The environment in the house was chilled, fun and relaxed, and there was no drama which is a godsend. I’ve always been a fairly independent person so I thrived on the opportunity to do my own thing, particularly being able to eat what and when I wanted and when. For me, I took to living away from home like a duck to water. I had a newfound sense of freedom and the decisions I made were all my own. Living in a house environment helped this even more, and it felt more like a family unit, compared to halls. Yes, it was an added commitment with the 15-minute bus journey, or 45-minute walk, into the city centre, but I enjoyed this in the end as it meant I always got my daily steps in (and my Fitbit loved me for it).

I am grateful that the friends I made on my course in Year 1 were still a close-knit group throughout year two, and helped me through the ups and downs of second year. They always kept me motivated in my work, especially when it came to getting a placement. Securing a placement was probably the biggest challenge of second year. Fortunately, it was only a struggle through first semester as I managed to secure a Marketing Placement in December that I have recently started. Prior to that, I had sent over 20 applications and attended 2 other interviews. The placement application process was brutal, and often involved completed multiple psychometric and numerical tests, all whilst completing my coursework, but I know it'll be worth it in the long term. 

How was your second year?

Read more university content;

You Might Also Like

0 comments

I will endeavour to reply to all comments by email. Please leave your link with your comment and I will check out your blog. If you want to contact me via twitter you can do so at @CosmticLover

Subscribe