DECLUTTER SERIES: Kon Mari' ing my Make-up Collection

17:00

Makeup Declutter

It seems that everyone and their dog has jumped on the Marie Kondo bandwagon following her latest Netflix series, but ever since reading her book (would highly recommend) a couple of years ago, I’ve been inspired to truly surround myself by items that bring me joy, that I use and love, and clear myself of items that aren’t being used and loved as much as they should.
As part of my ongoing mission to downsize the items I own and live in a more minimalist way, I recently went through my makeup collection to purge the items from my collection that, in the words of Marie Kondo, do not ‘spark joy’. I’ll openly admit that I keep makeup far longer than I should, but I am on an ongoing mission to only buy new makeup items when I have used the same item up. This way I can get the most out of my collection and not let items go to waste.
A lot of the items in my ‘makeup trash’ were on their last legs. Makeup had dried out or hadn’t been worn for a long time. In particular, I’d been hoarding a number of red/raspberry shade lipsticks that didn’t suit me and so went unused in my Muji drawers.
NYX Ultimate Palette (Review), Stila Eyes are the Window Palette (Soul) (Review), Profusion Palette (Amber), Revolution Iconic 3 Palette, MAC Satin Taupe, Estee Lauder Silky Eyeshadow Duo (01 Mocha), L’oreal Eyeshadow 892 Amber Rush, MUA Eyeshadow Shade 11, Kiko Metallic Shine Eyeshadow (06)

Following a reality check during my declutter, what I am left with, in my makeup collection, are 37 items that I love to use and are wearable and versatile. This includes 3x Ted Baker palettes, 4 x eyeshadow palettes (Stila, NYX, Revolution & Profusion), 1 x NYX Highlighter Palette, 2 x Blushers, 5 x eyeshadows, 1 x Eyeshadow Primer, 1 x Foundation, 1 x Concealer, 1 x Powder, 1 x Mascara, 1 x Brow Tint, 10 x Lipsticks, 5 x Lipglosses and a lip balm. 

(Top -Clockwise): Rimmel 107, Revlon Kissable Balm Stain (005 Crush), Ted Baker Lip Crayon, Estee Lauder All-day Lipstick 05 Wicked Wine, MAC Rebel, MAC Plumful, MAC Modesty, Natural Collection Moisture Shine Rose Bud, Rimmel Lasting Finish by Kate (05), MUA Power Pout Lip Crayon - Crazy in Love

For some people, my makeup collection may still be deemed as excessive, however, I am working to ensure that all of the items in my collection are used regularly by rotating the items in my makeup bag regularly. 
From this, I hope to continue to downsize my collection, not by throwing the items away but continuing to embark on my project pan. In particular, in 2019 I hope to use up my MAC Harmony Blusher, MAC Satin Taupe, Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush, NYX Highlighter Palette and use up at least 1 lipstick or lipgloss.

Have you jumped on the Kon Mari method bandwagon recently? 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

I will endeavour to reply to all comments by email. Please leave your link with your comment and I will check out your blog. If you want to contact me via twitter you can do so at @CosmticLover

Subscribe